IS THE METAVERSE THE NEXT INTERNET?
16 JULY 2022
U3APP was fortunate to have as the presenter of the July Saturday seminar Cameron Brown, co-founder, and Chief Creative Officer of Rec Room, one of Time Magazine’s 100 most influential companies of 2022.
Rec Room is a leader in the burgeoning “metaverse” space – where the internet breaks free of its “text and photos” roots and embraces the immersive 3D worlds of modern video games. Cameron told us that RecRoom has 75 million users.
A veteran of twenty-eight years in developing computer applications, Cameron was the perfect presenter to trace the history of developments in the shared virtual environment. He explained the meta (after or beyond) the universe, the technology that enabled it, demystified the cloud. He introduced us to a rich and diverse world of immersive technology. Why go there? – video games, socializing, collaborating, educating. The possibilities are endless.
Such was the enthusiasm of the audience, that questions kept coming which meant that the seminar was extended by 30 minutes
Some comments from participants:
- “That was a wonderful webinar!! Cameron was a marvellous presenter”
- “What a great session – I timed out at 4pm but learned so much.
- Cameron is a brilliant educator…..and such an enthusiast. It was a superbly well-structured and delivered seminar. It was also a great advertisement for U3APP and an indicator of the appetite for learning about new things from our seniors’ community.
- Thanks to you all for being brave enough to schedule it too – a very apt departure from our normal offerings.
- Move, Look, Do Something – maybe that should be our new slogan……I love it”
Lois Best as the mother of Cameron Brown was justifiably proud of him – mother and son in the same seminar was a first I think for our seminars. Her well-honed teacher skills were evident in her enthusiastic facilitation of the seminar.
The recording of the seminar is available HERE.
From Pam Caven